Review: The Woods, Vol. 1: The Arrow (The Woods #1) by James Tynion IV (Writer) & Michael Dialynas (Artist)

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Title: The Woods, Vol. 1: The Arrow
Series: The Woods #1
Author: James Tynion IV (Writer) &  Michael Dialynas (Artist)
Genre: Graphic Novel, Young Adult, Horror, Sci-Fy, Fantasy 
Publication Date: September 23rd, 2014 by BOOM! Studios
Format: Digital
Source: Library
Rating:
On October 16, 2013, 437 students, 52 teachers, and 24 additional staff from Bay Point Preparatory High School in suburban Milwaukee, WI vanished without a trace. Countless light years away, far outside the bounds of the charted universe, 513 people find themselves in the middle of an ancient, primordial wilderness. Where are they? Why are they there? The answers will prove stranger than anyone could possibly imagine.
Wow, Wow, just Wow this graphic novel was absolutely and utterly amazingly fantastic! I really loved and enjoyed it so much. I don't know what to write down on this review on how much I love this graphic novel, it totally has everything I love in books especially in graphic novels. Young Adult Check, Sci-Fy Check, Horror Check, and Fantasy Double Check. I can just go on and on and on and gush on how much I love The Woods, Vol. 1. But let me back up a minute here I am getting way ahead of myself. Now I was recommended this graphic novel by a friend on Litsy which is another app and book site for readers. But I totally trusted my friend recommendation because he reads a lot more graphic novels than I do. When he said that The Woods is a high school being zapped to another planet with dangerous man-eating creatures. I just had to check it out myself this graphic novel is so much more to me. Now I do think this graphic novel is for mature audiences only because there are some gore and very graphic scenes in it. Ok, now I don't want to go into any details about this graphic novel because I think everybody knows about it. I will just say what I love about it, it is set in a highschool zapped too a dangerous planet I know this is not every reader favorite troupe but I absolutely love it. The characters are well developed and diverse, the artworks are very realistic to me and you know how much I love artworks in graphic novels, and the writing style is very descriptive and expressive in every way. There is also a group of teenagers who go out into the wild and dangerous woods where there are man-eating creatures so they can try to find a way back too earth and their homes. They do find themselves in quite a lot of trouble will actually they find themselves in a whole bunch of troubles, but the ending was left off on a huge cliffhanger. I was just screaming because I didn't want it to stop there. But I digress I will most definitely continue on reading the next volumes of The Woods graphic novel series!
James Tynion IV (Writer)
Prior to his first professional work, Tynion was a student of Scott Snyder's at Sarah Lawrence College. A few years later, he worked as for Vertigo as Fables editor Shelly Bond's intern. In late 2011, with DC deciding to give Batman (written by Snyder) a backup feature, Tynion was brought in by request of Snyder to script the backups he had plotted. Tynion would later do the same with the Batman Annual #1, which was also co-plotted by Snyder. Beginning in September 2012, with DC's 0 issue month for the New 52, Tynion will be writing Talon, with art by Guillem March. In early 2013 it was announced that he'd take over writing duties for Red Hood and the Outlaws in April.
Tynion is also currently one of the writers in a rotating team in the weekly Batman Eternal series.


No comments:

Post a Comment