Review: Alex + Ada, Vol. 1 (Alex + Ada #1-5) by Jonathan Luna & Sarah Vaughn

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Title:  Alex + Ada, Vol. 1
Series: Alex + Ada #1-5
Author: Jonathan Luna & Sarah Vaughn
Genre: Adult, Graphic Novel, Sci-Fy
Publication Date: July 16th, 2014 by Image Comics
Format: Paperback
Source: Library
Rating:
From JONATHAN LUNA (GIRLS, THE SWORD, ULTRA, Spider-Woman: Origin) and SARAH VAUGHN (Sparkshooter) comes ALEX + ADA, a sci-fi drama set in the near future. The last thing in the world Alex wanted was an X5, the latest in realistic androids. But after Ada is dropped into his life, he discovers she is more than just a robot.

Collects ALEX + ADA #1-5.
Ok, I've been dying to read Alex + Ada for a long time now because I heard amazing things about it. So I decided to check it out from the library, too see if I like it or not. And I am so glad and happy that I check this graphic novel out because I absolutely love and enjoyed it so much. I absolutely love everything about it! The plotline and concept are unique and very refreshing to me I haven't read a graphic novel quite like this before. The characters to me are well developed and very characteristics I especially love their character traits as well. The artwork is absolutely beautiful as well and if you know me I am obsessed with beautiful artwork in graphic novels as well. And the artwork in this one was very beautiful but simple if you get what I mean. The writing style was expository and expressive just the way I love in graphic novels. I don't want to get into too many details because of spoilers, plus I think every reader's nows what Alex + Ada is about. But I will say a little bit about it this graphic novel is set in the near future where humans and androids co-exist with each other and the androids do different services for the humans. Alex is a single normal businessman living a loveless life. He is also heartbroken after a series broke up that he had with his girlfriend who he was very series with. His family and friends try to cheer him up especially on his birthday. One day Alex gets back home I think of his birthday party and found a huge gift in his living room. Alex was caught off guard by this because he didn't know who could bring such a huge gift into his house, but he had suspicions on who was the person responsible to bring him a huge present. So he opens the present and found out that there was a female android inside the box. Now Alex really knows who was the culprit who bought him the android and he will have too called that person and give them a piece of his mind. You see there was an android massacre that happens in this set that Alex was petrified about them. But a loving person I won't say who the person is because spoiler, now Alex was very lonely and that person thought the android well help Alex with his loneliness. Alex tried to give back the android back to the company but he just couldn't so he kept her and name her Ada. Now I am going to stop here because a lot of things does go down after Alex decided to keep Ada, but I don't want to spoil it for anybody. But let just say there will be big changes in Alex and Ada life from now on too the present. And I can't wait too read the next Vol. to see and learn what happens next in Alex and Ada lives
Jonathan Luna
JONATHAN LUNA co-created and illustrated THE SWORD, GIRLS, and ULTRA (all Image Comics) with his brother, Joshua Luna. He co-created and illustrated ALEX + ADA with Sarah Vaughn. He wrote and illustrated STAR BRIGHT AND THE LOOKING GLASS (Image Comics). His work also includes the art of SPIDER-WOMAN: ORIGIN (Marvel Comics), written by Brian Michael Bendis and Brian Reed.
Jonathan was born in California and spent most of his childhood overseas, living on military bases in Iceland and Italy. He returned to the United States in his late teens.
Writing and drawing comics since he was a child, he graduated from the Savannah College of Art and Design with a BFA in Sequential Art.
He currently resides in Northern Virginia.
 Sarah Vaughn


Sarah Vaughn is an artist, writer, over-thinker. She's penciled Sparkshooter and is currently working with Jonathan Luna on Alex + Ada for Image Comics.

9 comments:

  1. Not one of the genres I usually read. In fact I can't think of a single graphic novel I've read. Sounds like you enjoyed it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I haven't read one since they started calling them graphic novels, they used to be comic books with Archie and Jughead back in the day ;)

      Delete
    2. Yes it was absolutely an amazing graphic novel, I have been in a graphic novel kick since I started reading them last year. lol :D And you are absolutely right DJ there were once called comics. And some are still called comics I am actually trying too see if I can read an Archie and Jughead comic because they have loads of there comics where I can borrow THEM ON digital format at my library on my iPad. Thank you so much Jo and DJ for stopping by my blog.

      Delete
  2. I've been looking into reading more graphic novels. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog Jennifer, I've been in a graphic novel kick since last year. I hope you enjoy this graphic novel when you get a chance to read it.

      Delete
  3. I have never read a graphic novel, and wouldn’t know where to start - but you pointed me in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you like it when you get the chance Nikki. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog.

      Delete
  4. I liked the stories behind graphic novels, but I like to imagine my characters and settings. So sometimes I don't like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried a graphic novel once, but it wasn't for me. Lovely review though and I'm sure the book will be a big hit with those that like them.

    ReplyDelete