Review: The Unwritten, Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity (The Unwritten #1) by Mike Carey (Author) & Peter Gross (Writer, Artist)

Friday, January 26, 2018


Title: The Unwritten, Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity

Series: The Unwritten #1

Author: Mike Carey & Peter Gross

Genre: Adult, Graphic Novel, Fantasy

Publication Date: January 12th 2010 by Vertigo

Format: Paperback

Source: Library


Rating:







Tom Taylor's life was screwed from go. His father created the Tommy Taylor fantasy series, boy-wizard novels with popularity on par with Harry Potter. The problem is Dad modeled the fictional epic so closely to Tom's real life that fans are constantly comparing him to his counterpart, turning him into the lamest variety of Z-level celebrity. In the final novel, it's even implied that the fictional Tommy will crossover into the real world, giving delusional fans more excuses to harass Tom.
When an enormous scandal reveals that Tom might really be a boy-wizard made flesh, Tom comes into contact with a very mysterious, very deadly group that's secretly kept tabs on him all his life. Now, to protect his own life and discover the truth behind his origins, Tom will travel the world, eventually finding himself at locations all featured on a very special map -- one kept by the deadly group that charts places throughout world history where fictions have impacted and tangibly shaped reality, those stories ranging from famous literary works to folktales to pop culture. And in the process of figuring out what it all means, Tom will find himself having to figure out a huge conspiracy mystery that spans the entirety of the history of fiction.

Collecting: The Unwritten 1-5






Ohh my this graphic novel was so good for me, I know not every reader loves this book and I totally understand why. But I absolutely love and enjoy everything about it. This graphic novel was another Litsy recommendation that a friend of my rec on Litsy, that I had too give it a shot. Since I am in a graphic novel binge right now I wanted to give it a shot. And I am so glad and happy that I did, now I don't want to go into any details about this amazing graphic novel without getting too spoiler. But it is about Tom Taylor who's fathers is an author that has written a book series like Harry Potter esque, with his son's name in it. The fan's actually believe Tom is the actual real fictional character Tommy from his father fantasy books, and Tom just wants too live outside from the spotlight and live a normal life. Without fans hounding him about if he is truly the real Tommy in the books and what happened too his father, who mysteriously disappeared almost a year ago. Now Tom goes through a lot of crazy stuff in this book, that I don't want too say because spoiler. But the stuff he goes through changes his life upside down for the worst though. Especially after that insane cliffhanger ending. I am going to leave it off here because I don't want too say too much, but my favorite part in this book was the art style. The art was absolutely amazing and stunning at the same time that I can't wait too read the next volume next! The story was different and refreshing that I never read a graphic novel quite like this one before, that I was on pins and needles while reading it. All and all I absolutely love and enjoy everything about the Unwritten series, that I can't wait to continue on reading the next book The Unwritten, Vol. 2: Inside Man soon!
















Mike Carey

Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storylines for some of the world's most iconic characters, including X-MEN, FANTASTIC FOUR, LUCIFER and HELLBLAZER. His original screenplay FROST FLOWERS is currently being filmed. Mike has also adapted Neil Gaiman's acclaimed NEVERWHERE into comics.

Somehow, Mike finds time amongst all of this to live with his wife and children in North London. You can read his blog at www.mikecarey.net.



















7 comments:

  1. I despise cliffhangers - they cause me to stamp my little foot and foam at the mouth! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know I agree with you 100% about cliffhanger. I so despise them if they are really brutal cliffhanger endings in books. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog DJ.

      Delete
    2. I agree, not really much for the cliffhangers. Maybe it's just that I don't have patience. I want to know how the book ends and I want to know right now lol. Great review, though :)

      Delete
  2. This looks a little too old for my daughter. She reads the graphic novels in this family. I have issues with stories being told in frames. Is this one in frames? The story itself sounds wonderful and honestly something I would like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this graphic novel is for mature audience only too me, there is some bloody graphic scenes in this graphic novel that I think kids should not see. I think there are some frames in it as well but not a lot. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog Terri.

      Delete
  3. Adding to my TBR right away!! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog Erica, I hope you enjoy this one as well!

      Delete