Review: Home Before Dark by Riley Sager

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

 


Title: Home Before Dark

Series: Stand-Alone

Author: Riley Sager

Genre: Adult, Horry, Mystery-Thriller

Publication Date: June 30th 2020 by Dutton Books

Format: Hardback

Source: Library

Add-On Goodreads

Rating:






What was it like? Living in that house.

Maggie Holt is used to such questions. Twenty-five years ago, she and her parents, Ewan and Jess, moved into Baneberry Hall, a rambling Victorian estate in the Vermont woods. They spent three weeks there before fleeing in the dead of night, an ordeal Ewan later recounted in a nonfiction book called House of Horrors. His tale of ghostly happenings and encounters with malevolent spirits became a worldwide phenomenon, rivaling The Amityville Horror in popularity—and skepticism.

Today, Maggie is a restorer of old homes and too young to remember any of the events mentioned in her father’s book. But she also doesn’t believe a word of it. Ghosts, after all, don’t exist. When Maggie inherits Baneberry Hall after her father’s death, she returns to renovate the place to prepare it for sale. But her homecoming is anything but warm. People from the past, chronicled in House of Horrors, lurk in the shadows. And locals aren’t thrilled that their small town has been made infamous thanks to Maggie’s father. Even more unnerving is Baneberry Hall itself—a place filled with relics from another era that hint at a history of dark deeds. As Maggie experiences strange occurrences straight out of her father’s book, she starts to believe that what he wrote was more fact than fiction.

In the latest thriller from New York Times bestseller Riley Sager, a woman returns to the house made famous by her father’s bestselling horror memoir. Is the place really haunted by evil forces, as her father claimed? Or are there more earthbound—and dangerous—secrets hidden within its walls?






I can not tell you or express to you all on how much I love and adore reading Home Before Dark. Riley Sager books never disappoint me at all. I almost read all his books that he has written that came out already. I just need to read one more book of his then I be all caught up with the books that he already published. I know some readers love or dislike his books but I am one reader that I so love and adore his books. The plotline of Home Before Dark I have read before in other books but, this plotline in this book is pure Riley Sager style. I just love all the twists and turns and guessing who done it. 

The reader trying to figure out what is the truth from lies until the middle of the end of the book everything is revealed. I am always on the tip of my toes reading this book because I thought I had it all figured out until the ending. I found out that I was all wrong about everything. I just love it when a book does that to me. And every Riley Sager books does that to me. 

The writing style is always very expressive and descriptive that I can feel every emotion each character goes through and can visualize in my mind every store and house that is in Home Before Dark. The characters are well built and unique in their way. All and all I love and enjoyed everything Home Before Dark that I can't wait to read next month Lock Every Door for the spooky season.






Riley Sager (Author)

Riley Sager is the award-winning pseudonym of a former journalist, editor and graphic designer who previously published mysteries under his real name.

Now a full-time author, Riley's first thriller, FINAL GIRLS, became a national and international bestseller and was called "the first great thriller of 2017" by Stephen King. Translation rights have been sold in more than two dozen countries.

Riley's next two books, THE LAST TIME I LIED and LOCK EVERY DOOR, were instant New York Times bestsellers. His most recent book, HOME BEFORE DARK, was published in July.

A native of Pennsylvania, Riley now lives in Princeton, New Jersey. When he's not writing, he enjoys reading, cooking and going to the movies as much as possible. His favorite film is "Rear Window." Or maybe "Jaws." But probably, if he's being honest, "Mary Poppins."


14 comments:

  1. I have yet to find someone who has not enjoyed this book so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was an amazing book to read I just love and adore Riley Sager books. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog my friend.

      Delete
  2. My reading list is so lengthy in these coming weeks, but I want to sneak a Riley Sager in for Halloween. 🧡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes his books are really great for the spooky season. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog my friend.

      Delete
  3. I love it when the story keeps you guessing, That is the sign of a well written mystery. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I also love when books do that to me too. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog my friend.

      Delete
  4. This sounds intriguing, I might give them a try too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love and adore Riley Sager books he is one of my favorite Authors. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog my friend.

      Delete
  5. I love books full of unexpected twists. Thanks for bringing this book and author to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome and thank you so much for stopping by my blog my friend.

      Delete
  6. maybe perfect reading for next month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I want to read this. My kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful review!! I loved this one as well! I can't wait to see what you think of Lock Every Door!!

    ReplyDelete