Review: The Seance by John Harwood

Wednesday, November 8, 2017


Title: The Séance

Series: Stand-Alone

Author: John Harwood

Genre: Adult, Historical Fiction, Mystery, Horror, Gothic

Publication Date: April 3rd 2008 by Jonathan Cape, Vintage Publishing

Format: Hard Cover

Source: Library


Rating:









Wraxford Hall, a decaying mansion in the English countryside, has a sinister reputation. Once, a family disappeared there. And now Constance Langton has inherited this dark place as well as the mysteries surrounding it. Having grown up in a house marked by the death of her sister, Constance is no stranger to mystery, secrets, and the dark magic around us. Her father was distant. Her mother was in perpetual mourning for her lost child. In a desperate attempt to coax her mother back to health, Constance took her to a seance hoping she would find supernatural comfort. But tragic consequences followed, leaving her alone in the world-- alone with Wraxford Hall. Saddled with this questionable bequest, she must find the truth at the heart of all these disappearances, apparitions, betrayal, blackmail, and villainy, even if it costs her life. John Harwood's second novel delivers on the great promise proven by his first with this gripping mystery set in the heart of Victorian England.








I know this book was not for everybody and I totally understand way, but I absolutely loved and enjoyed it so much. I actually pick this book up from the library for a book club group that I joined on goodreads that there were going to read in the month of Oct. I know some readers from the book club group didn't really like this one. Because it does have different pov's and subplots within the story that it all connects to the main plot at the very end. It also have a very eerie, haunted and dark gothic vibe too the book as well. I just love and enjoy all these aspects in this book I also really love the writing style in The Séance I don't now how to describe it too you on why I love John Harwood writing style, but I just love how John Harwood writes and I thoroughly love how he tells as an amazing haunting and very eerie story in The Séance to me. I really don't want to go into too many details about the books, because I don't want to spoil it for anybody. But I will say if you love a good haunted, very eerie and dark gothic book than this book is for you. If you haven't read a book quite like The Séance before I still say give it a try who knows you might be surprise and love this dark gothic tale! All and all I absolutely loved and enjoyed everything in The Séance that I will most definitely try too read more books by John Harwood in the near future.

















John Harwood is the author of two previous novels of Victorian Gothic suspense. Aside from fiction, his published work includes biography, poetry, political journalism and literary history. His acclaimed first novel, The Ghost Writer, won the International Horror Guild's First Novel Award. He lives in Hobart, Australia.


 




                       

2 comments: