Review: Messenger (The Giver Quartet #3) by Lois Lowry

Friday, January 8, 2016

 
Title: Messenger
 
Series: The Giver Quartet #3
 
Author: Lois Lowry
 
Genre: YA, Literature & Fiction
 
Published Date: August 22nd 2006 by Ember
 
Format: Hardcover
 
Source: Library
 
Rating:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Messenger is the masterful third novel in the Giver Quartet, which began with the dystopian bestseller The Giver, now a major motion picture.

Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man known for his special sight. Village once welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must risk everything to make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I really loved and enjoyed Messenger except for the ending Ugh the ending just broke my heart Messenger is in Mattie pov the tyke and Kira only friend she had but Mattie is not a tyke anymore he is a grown handsome young man. It has been six years that has already past and six years that he leaves in the village that welcome him with open arms and also he leaves with the seer Kira father since he arrived at the village. Mattie loves the village but it is changing and he sees that it is changing for the worst the people or changing and the forest is more dangerous than ever and he hides a secret that no body knows except for there leader in the village. Some of the village people decided to vote and close the village from any new arrivals who comes to the village. Some people in the village excuse to close the village was so cruel and so cold hearted that it shock Mattie. Before the close of the village the seer asked Mattie can he please go get his daughter Kira to come to leave with them at the village before it closes and Mattie agree and promised him he will get her. Even though the leader of the village ask him not to because the forest was getting really dangerous but Mattie promised the seer who is like a father to him that he well bring back Kira and bring her to him. Ohh boy what a dangerous journey it was coming back to the village with Kira I am going to leave it off here because I don't want to spoil it for anybody but just that at the end it literally broke my heart. I really loved and enjoyed Messenger and we also find out what happens to Jonas in the Messenger that was an awesome surprised for me but Messenger was a great read for me!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"I’ve always felt that I was fortunate to have been born the middle child of three. My older sister, Helen, was very much like our mother: gentle, family-oriented, eager to please. Little brother Jon was the only boy and had interests that he shared with Dad; together they were always working on electric trains and erector sets; and later, when Jon was older, they always seemed to have their heads under the raised hood of a car. That left me in-between, and exactly where I wanted most to be: on my own. I was a solitary child who lived in the world of books and my own vivid imagination.

Because my father was a career military officer - an Army dentist - I lived all over the world. I was born in Hawaii, moved from there to New York, spent the years of World War II in my mother’s hometown: Carlisle, Pennsylvania, and from there went to Tokyo when I was eleven. High school was back in New York City, but by the time I went to college (Brown University in Rhode Island), my family was living in Washington, D.C.

I married young. I had just turned nineteen - just finished my sophomore year in college - when I married a Naval officer and continued the odyssey that military life requires. California. Connecticut (a daughter born there). Florida (a son). South Carolina. Finally Cambridge, Massachusetts, when my husband left the service and entered Harvard Law School (another daughter; another son) and then to Maine - by now with four children under the age of five in tow. My children grew up in Maine. So did I. I returned to college at the University of Southern Maine, got my degree, went to graduate school, and finally began to write professionally, the thing I had dreamed of doing since those childhood years when I had endlessly scribbled stories and poems in notebooks.

After my marriage ended in 1977, when I was forty, I settled into the life I have lived ever since. Today I am back in Cambridge, Massachusetts, living and writing in a house dominated by a very shaggy Tibetan Terrier named Bandit. For a change of scenery Martin and I spend time in Maine, where we have an old (it was built in 1768!) farmhouse on top of a hill. In Maine I garden, feed birds, entertain friends, and read...

My books have varied in content and style. Yet it seems that all of them deal, essentially, with the same general theme: the importance of human connections. A Summer to Die, my first book, was a highly fictionalized retelling of the early death of my sister, and of the effect of such a loss on a family. Number the Stars, set in a different culture and era, tells the same story: that of the role that we humans play in the lives of our fellow beings.

The Giver - and Gathering Blue, and the newest in the trilogy: Messenger - take place against the background of very different cultures and times. Though all three are broader in scope than my earlier books, they nonetheless speak to the same concern: the vital need of people to be aware of their interdependence, not only with each other, but with the world and its environment.

My older son was a fighter pilot in the United States Air Force. His death in the cockpit of a warplane tore away a piece of my world. But it left me, too, with a wish to honor him by joining the many others trying to find a way to end conflict on this very fragile earth.
I am a grandmother now. For my own grandchildren - and for all those of their generation - I try, through writing, to convey my passionate awareness that we live intertwined on this planet and that our future depends upon our caring more, and doing more, for one another."
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment