Review: Big Trouble in Little China Vol. 1: The Hell of the Midnight Road & The Ghosts of Storms (Big Trouble in Little China) by Eric Powell (Writer), Brian Churilla (Illustrator) & John Carpenter (Creator)

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Title: Big Trouble in Little China Vol. 1: The Hell of the Midnight Road & The Ghosts of Storms
Series: Big Trouble in Little China
Author:  Eric Powell (Writer), Brian Churilla (Illustrator) & John Carpenter (Creator)
Genre: Fantasy, Horror, Humor
Publication Date: June 9th, 2015 by BOOM! Studios
Format: Digital
Source: Library
Rating:
Jack Burton's BACK!

Jack Burton, a macho, truck-driving adventurer, finds a stowaway demon hiding on his rig, The Pork Chop Express, but that soon becomes the least of his troubles. He helped his best friend Wang save his fiance from the clutches of an ancient sorcerer, but now the wedding has been invaded by more evil forces with one thing on their minds: revenge against Jack Burton! Director John Carpenter returns with Eric Powell (THE GOON) and artist Brian Churilla (SECRET HISTORY OF D.B. COOPER) in the continuing adventures of Jack Burton, taking place mere moments after the ending to the cult-classic. Collecting the first four issues of the critically acclaimed series.
I went into this graphic novel totally blind, I have seen the movie when I was a kid. And it was one of my all-time favorite movies ever when I was a kid. And when I saw there was a graphic novel of the film I had to check it out, but this book was just ok for me. I did like it enough to continue on reading the rest of the series though. I just don’t have high hopes for this series. Now if you haven't see the film of Big Trouble in Little China you might get a little confused reading this graphic novel. Because this graphic novel starts off exactly where the film left off at the end and I always wonder what was going to happen next to Jack Burton. If he ever was going back to little china again. Now I don't want to get into any details about this graphic novel because I don't want to spoil it for anybody. But I will say it was very nostalgic reading this book seeing Jack and the crew back again in this graphic novel. I never realize how much I missed these corky characters and the fantastic world of little china, I especially missed Jack and his misfit crew. And this graphic novel brought back all my memories of them, there also includes new funny and crazy villains as well which I absolutely loved reading about. But I really didn't like the artwork don't get me wrong the artwork was really pretty but it was kind of weird for me as well. But I do think the artwork fits right with this graphic novel because the film was a cult classic and unique of its own. Like I say the characters in the film were unique, corky and weird as well some of them were very funny too. So the artwork fit perfect for this graphic novel I just didn't love it, as well the writing style and dialog were absolutely hilarious and funny as well, which I thought that it also fit perfect for this graphic novel too and I absolutely love that aspect of the graphic novel. And this graphic novel is also really short I wanted to read and learned more about what going to happen next to Jack so it is a really quick read too. I did thoroughly enjoy this graphic novel I just didn't love it, I will continue on reading more of this series too see what happens next too Jack and his misfit crew after that ending! 
Eric Powell (Writer)
Eric Powell has contributed work on such comics titles as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Hellboy: Weird Tales, Star Wars Tales, The Incredible Hulk, Black Panther, The Avengers, The Hood, MAD Magazine, Devil Dinosaur, Swamp Thing, the Avengers, She-Hulk, the Simpsons, Arkham Asylum: Living Hell and Action Comics.

Although eking out a meager living in the comics field since 1995, Eric didn't find true success until he launched his critically acclaimed dark comedy series The Goon. The Goon was subsequently picked up by Dark Horse Comics and boasts a diehard cult following.
John Carpenter (Creator)
John Howard Carpenter (born January 16, 1948) is an American film director, screenwriter, producer, editor, and composer. Although Carpenter has worked in numerous film genres, he is most commonly associated with horror and science fiction films from the 1970s and 1980s.

Numerous films in Carpenter's career were critical and commercial failures, with the notable exceptions of Halloween (1978) and Escape from New York (1981). However, many of Carpenter's films from the 1970s and the 1980s, such as Dark Star (1974), Assault on Precinct 13 (1976), The Fog (1980), The Thing (1982), Starman (1984), Big Trouble in Little China (1986) and They Live (1988) have since become cult classics, and Carpenter has been acknowledged as an influential filmmaker.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh that cover! haha! I need to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a very funny graphic novel, I did enjoy it very much. I hope you enjoy it when you get the chance too read it Erica. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog my friend.

      Delete