Review: The Grownup by Gillian Flynn

Saturday, December 5, 2015

 
Title: The Grownup
 
Series: Stand-Alone
 
Author: Gillian Flynn
 
Genre: Adult, Mystery & Thriller
 
Published Date: November 3rd 2015 by Crown (first published October 27th 2015)  
 
Format: Hardback
 
Source: I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.
 
Rating: 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A canny young woman is struggling to survive by perpetrating various levels of mostly harmless fraud. On a rainy April morning, she is reading auras at Spiritual Palms when Susan Burke walks in. A keen observer of human behavior, our unnamed narrator immediately diagnoses beautiful, rich Susan as an unhappy woman eager to give her lovely life a drama injection. However, when the "psychic" visits the eerie Victorian home that has been the source of Susan's terror and grief, she realizes she may not have to pretend to believe in ghosts anymore. Miles, Susan's teenage stepson, doesn't help matters with his disturbing manner and grisly imagination. The three are soon locked in a chilling battle to discover where the evil truly lurks and what, if anything, can be done to escape it.  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
*** I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review. ***


I absolutely love Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn that I wanted to try her short story to see if I like it or not. And I tell you the truth I am not a fan of short stories because I always want more out of the story. But this awesome book really surprised me totally. I absolutely loved and enjoyed it so much. That I know some readers will disagree with me but I thought the short story was amazingly great and just perfect how it is. That it does not need to continue after the ending I know there is some questions that are unanswered at the ending of The Grownup. But I was totally alright and happy with the ending. Now I tell you the unexpected surprising twist that Gillian Flynn put at the end I thought was pure brilliant. I absolutely love the plot that was very intriguing, unexpecting and thrilling, the characters are very smart, witty and very original and Gillian Flynn writing style and story telling was utterly amazingly fantastic. That I truly missed her writing style and story telling so much. Now I don't want to go into any details about this amazing book. Because I don't want to spoil it for anybody. But I do highly recommend The Grownup if you love Gillian Flynn writing style and her story telling than this book is for you. I can't wait to continue on reading more books by Gillian Flynn especially her short stories. That I know that I would absolutely love an enjoyed!
                                             
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Gillian Flynn is an American author and television critic for Entertainment Weekly. She has so far written three novels, Sharp Objects, for which she won the 2007 Ian Fleming Steel Dagger for the best thriller; Dark Places; and her best-selling third novel Gone Girl.

Her book has received wide praise, including from authors such as Stephen King. The dark plot revolves around a serial killer in a Missouri town, and the reporter who has returned from Chicago to cover the event. Themes include dysfunctional families,violence and self-harm.

In 2007 the novel was shortlisted for the Mystery Writers of America Edgar for Best First Novel by an American Writer, Crime Writers' Association Duncan Lawrie, CWA New Blood and Ian Fleming Steel Daggers, winning in the last two categories.

Flynn, who lives in Chicago, grew up in Kansas City, Missouri. She graduated at the University of Kansas, and qualified for a Master's degree from Northwestern University.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment